Wednesday 18 May 2016

American War of Independence Project

So here we are, my first of the new style hobby projects.  I will post better pictures in the gallery when they are all done.

The plan used is to batch paint in stages.  It may work, or it may not, who knows at this stage.  The first task is to acquire some minis.  This was achieved by purchasing some Perry minis from those nice chaps at Firestorm Games.  Armed with my first purchases (a box of Brits and 2 boxes of Continental Infantry) I started the project.  The plan was to do a 400 point force for each faction before going back and expanding both of these up to 600 points.  The first to be assembled was the British.

On assembly I spotted the error in my plan.  I had forgot the Perry Miniatures box contained 36 Infantry and 2 Casualty models.  This meant that I was a model down (Requiring 36+ Officer).  This was quickly rectified as the Perrys allow for individual frames to be ordered, so an extra command frame was bought.

Then on to the assembly...



So here are the British troops all assembled and eager to be painted.  3 Units of 12 Light Infantry, and an Officer to lead them.

Things were looking good, as it took an evening to prep and assemble them.  The plan was to then Spray them the next day, and try to do one or two areas of colour each night.  For example, get the red jackets done, then the flesh and muskets and so on.  This plan worked quite well, as it allowed the models to be painted in quite an efficient manner.  Hopefully it will work well when I get to the continental troops as well (the observant will have noticed from the tenses used that I have actually completed (mostly) the British at this point.  I was going to add to this post after every stage, but I was too eager to get the painting done.




Stage 2 and 3.  Firstly a red spray.  When this was dry, ink was applied to shade the red, and areas to be painted darker (hat and gun) were based in black.  Stage 3 was then to highlight the red up to a nice smart red that the King would be proud of.


The next stage was to base all the areas that are to be painted white in a light grey.  It was at this stage that the models started to look like "proper British" soldiers.  Sorry for the rubbish casts on the pictures, the lighting in the room is quite terrible, and my wife had taken the painting lights.


Some white detailing has now been applied, and the dark blue trim on the jackets.  Really starting to look the part now.

My excitement for the project at this point was greatly increased.  I thought at first that painting them would be a chore (I am not used to painting such bright colours over so many models), but it proved me wrong, and I had already started looking towards my next purchases at this point.  However, due to a promise to my wife to finish painting task before starting another I remained determined and carried on with the project (I was going to get a stack of Dragoons from the Perrys, they will be got, as a reward when I complete the Continentals).  I have ordered a stack of basing materials (tufts, shrubs etc.) but will probably get both the starter forces done then have a basing binge.



The (mostly)finished Brits.  As mentioned, the bases still need doing.  The flags really bring out the unit, and I love the red-coat vibe.  I want to add some Napoleonics to my schedule now ;-)

Time to start the Continental force, I will post again when they are done (or maybe if I get the time in work, I will post as the project progresses).

When both are done, I will try to get some of the terrain from Renedra painted and put up a Video.  

No comments:

Post a Comment